Does your crawl space get wet, damp, or musty? There’s a good chance that your crawl space is experiencing moisture problems. Originally, crawl spaces were designed with the purpose of protecting your living space from the moisture in the soil. Crawl spaces can become traps for water and moisture, which can lead to moisture-related problems in your crawl space and potentially your home. But with help of a crawl space vapor barrier, your crawl space can have a protective shield against invasive moisture.
But what kind of vapor barrier should you have your crawl space sealed with? Your local crawl space encapsulation experts at ’58 can help answer that!
Not All Crawl Space Vapor Barriers Are Made Equal
There are several types of vapor barriers and even then they can range in varying thicknesses as well. These types are categorizes as Class 1, Class 2, and Class 3 vapor barriers.
- Class 1 Vapor Barriers measure at 0.1 perm or less.
- Class 2 Vapor Barriers measure at 1.0 perm or less but greater than 0.1 perm.
- Class 3 Vapor Barriers measure at 10 perm or less but greater than 1.0 perm.
Perm describes a crawl space vapor barrier’s measurement of water vapor permeance. The lower the perm, the better the vapor barrier is at keeping moisture from getting through.
Also, it is important to make sure your vapor barrier is thick enough to withstand wear-and-tear. A torn vapor barrier in a crawl space is like not having a vapor barrier at all.
Some homeowners opt to try encapsulating their own crawl space with a store-bought vapor barrier. But these vapor barriers often are either not thick enough and tear easily, or they don’t offer the proper perm rating to protect their crawl space from moisture.
An experienced local crawl space encapsulation contractor like ‘58 Foundations & Waterproofing can help seal your crawl space and keep that troublesome moisture out. Our vapor barriers not only help keep moisture out, but they are tough and thick.
With a local crawl space encapsulation system from ’58, your crawl space will be more than just safe and dry, you can turn that extra space into anything you desire!
The ‘58 Difference in Crawl Space Encapsulation and Vapor Barriers
Since 1958, ‘58 Foundations & Waterproofing has been offering five-star local crawl space encapsulation services for communities from Knoxville, TN and Baltimore, MD to Atlanta, GA and Spartanburg, SC. Our crawl space encapsulation system offers a comprehensive solution…
- Our vapor barriers are Class A Fire-Rated for extra safety.
- We use the highest performing combo in vapor barriers available. 20-mil thick for the floor and 90-mil thick for the walls.
- We offer vent fans that are designed to be in compliance with housing code, ensuring proper airflow for a sealed crawl space, which creates a healthier indoor environment for your home.
- While our thick and durable vapor barriers keep moisture out, our Energy-Star Rated HumidiGuard crawl space dehumidifier maintains your crawl space’s environment, keeping moisture down to a safe level.
For a Local Crawl Space Encapsulation Contractor, Call ’58!
With thousands of five-star reviews for our services, it’s easy to see why ‘58 Foundations & Waterproofing has been in business for over 65 years! For your added peace of mind, ‘58 Foundations & Waterproofing is proud to back our work with our lifetime warranty and our industry-unique money-back guarantee.
We have local offices throughout the Eastern Seaboard. Whenever you need help with crawl space encapsulation, you can always count on ’58!
Call us to schedule for a free inspection and price quote! We use a fixed price sheet for our every customer, so you won’t have to worry about any surprises. Our crawl space experts are more than happy to answer any questions about crawl space encapsulation and crawl space vapor barriers. Be sure to ask about our lifetime warranty and money-back guarantee!